Reprorubber® Putty is a two component, addition cured, platinum catalyzed, hydrophobic vinyl polysiloxane. It is a hand mixed to obtain a uniform mixture. It may be used to reproduce surface characteristics. It is able to reproduce surfaces down to submicron particles or scratches. It is cured at room temperature. However, warmer temperatures accelerate the setting time and cooler temperatures slow the setting time.
Quicksetting Putty Physical Properties
Determined at 23°C (72°F) (Tested according to ISO 4823)
- Base Paste
- Appearance - Blue smooth, non-tacky paste. Filling loading approximately 40% silicon dioxide. Contains approximately 5% Organic Phthalate Plasticizer.
- Catalyst Paste
- Appearance - Off-white, non-tacky paste. Filling loading approximately 40% silicon dioxide. Contains approximately 5% Organic Phthalate Plasticizer.
- Mixing Time
- 30 seconds, Larger masses may take up to 60 seconds.
- Working Time (prior to gellation) – 2.5 – 3.0 minutes
- Setting Time
- 5 – 6.5 minutes. Varies with ambient temperature. Warmer temperatures accelerate the setting time. Cooler Temperatures slow the setting time.
- Compression Set (Recovery from deformation)
- Strain in Compression (A modified Modulus of Elasticity)
- Shore A50
- Dimensional Change
- After 24 Hours - 0.50 % Change (negative 0.50% change) this means it shrinks 0.50%
- After 7 Days - 0.50 % Change (negative 0.50 % change) this means it shrinks 0.50%
- Tear Strength
- 375 psi
- Flash Point of the polymers used
- 130°C (266°F)
- Ignition Temperature of the Polymers Used
- 470°C (878°F)
- Fully set material may be autoclaved, but its dimensional stability may be compromised. If allowed to return to room temperature, should return to original shape.
- Since material is hydrophobic, immersion in disinfectants is acceptable. The surface color may change due to the disinfectants used
You can take impressions of:
- All Metals
- Non Metals
- Paper or Cardboard Items
- Ceramic and Glass items
Other Uses Include:
- Fixturing where semi-rigid structure is desired.
- Making joints where flexibility is required.
- Replica is easy to remove - even if there are under cuts or grooves.
- Cross-sectioning of replica is easily accomplished with a knife or razor.
- It can then be checked on an optical comparator or microscope.
- Surface finish replication is exact with excellent optical properties.
- Replicas are permanent - will not leach or ooze out nor outgas.
- Wood, Marble, etc.
- All Plastics
- Prototypes of rubber type components such as gaskets, washers, etc.
- As a mask for high temperature plasma spray of metallic coatings.
- No more 16 hour cure time as with RTV silicones
- More accurate than all other RTV compounds
- Reprorubber® Putty will withstand up to 600°F (or more).
- Reprorubber® copies can be recopied (copy from a “female mould” yields a male-shaped replica).